Bible Versions/Translations

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
illuminator

Re: Bible Versions/Translations

Post by illuminator »

Lev wrote:
illuminator wrote:what about the so-called "Bible code" that can only be used with the KJV?
Joking, right?

Lev
Maybe you should have read the entire post.
KLP

Post by KLP »

It should say "We are the Borg we've been waiting for"

I am totally convinced now on this matrix stuff, totally explains why bunny's leave eggs on Easter
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
illuminator

Post by illuminator »

You know, I think the Borg used to be members of the coc. Both say things like, "You will be assimilated." And, "Repentance is futile." OOPS! I meant resistance is futile. :oops:

Or did I? :twisted:
KLP

Post by KLP »

You had me at matrix
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
Ashes

Post by Ashes »

I just downloaded an audiobook of The Message (New Testament).

I like how instead of "Get thee hence, Satan..." and "Get thee behind me, Satan!", Jesus says "Beat it, Satan!" and "Satan, get lost!"
Real blessings come from people.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

If Foy Wallace and Roy Cogdill flew down from heaven in a fiery chariot and gave the CoC a translation of the Bible into English somebody somewhere would throw a big fit over something in it they did not like.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
Lev

Post by Lev »

B.H. wrote:If Foy Wallace and Roy Cogdill flew down from heaven in a fiery chariot and gave the CoC a translation of the Bible into English somebody somewhere would throw a big fit over something in it they did not like.
Well that's making a heck of an assumption. (Emphasis added.)

Lev
ena

Post by ena »

Lev wrote:
Moogy wrote:People who knew little or nothing about Greek would go on and on about which was the better translation for a particular word.
Since the COC eschews seminaries and other kinds of theological education, this could really be generalized to say: People who knew little or nothing about __________ would go on and on about __________.

Lev
This is true. In Baptist churches you will find seminarians trained for many years in both Hebrew and Greek. Not so the Churches of Christ who argue about the only inerrant inspired translation of the Bible. Do you know the translator? The arguments transcend any reality. I do not have patience for this kind of crap anymore and will avoid it by forsaking. The only constant in the COC is extreme ignorance. Not because I am so smart. The more you know the less you know.

I like Strong's numbers. Strong Number 62 is agrammatos which is found in the Greek in Acts 4:13. It means unlettered. The literal English translation should be illiterate. It is not translated that way because the people who captured Peter an John may have found them illiterate in Hebrew. What about the gospel of John, 1,2 and 3 John. ! and 2 Peter. See the problem. Context determines translation. Luke is dead so you cannot ask question. Under the Strong's system every Greek or Hebrew word has a number. It was not uncommon for people to be illiterate in the first century. My Jewish friend rediscovered his faith later in life. He was learning his Aleph Bet he wrote. This is the first Hebrew letters. It's like saying your ABC's in English. There was a picture of him wearing Jewish garments reading the Torah for his congregation (synagogue). I was happy for him. His Rabbi is female. This would not be allowed in more extreme groups. There is wide variation in observation level among Jews as there are among CoCers. I find it interesting.
GuitarHero

Post by GuitarHero »

To me, the whole thing is akin to this: should I read Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone? Or should I read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone? Which one is more British?

They're both the same book, both fictional, and have about the same power to save me as the Bible does.
ena

Post by ena »

illuminator wrote:You know, I think the Borg used to be members of the coc. Both say things like, "You will be assimilated." And, "Repentance is futile."
Really choice and nearly true. I was hell bound while in the CoC. It is not pleasant to live guilt. The only way to get saved in the CoC is to drown in the baptistry.