One Cup Churches

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
agricola

Re: One Cup Churches

Post by agricola »

You know, the whole time I was in the coc - from birth to my middle twenties - I don't think I ever even HEARD the word 'communion' used for 'the Lord's Supper'. It was clear that non-members weren't supposed to 'partake', but I never remember any cases where non-members were prevented from doing so - it was 'left up to their conscience' and also, most likely: what non-members? the only visitors we typically had were other coc folks either attending college in town or traveling and visiting family.

It's not like a coc service is any particular major ATTRACTION to people in other denominations, after all.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
GuitarHero

Post by GuitarHero »

Lev wrote:
NeverAgain wrote:I know the CofC theoretically has "closed" communion, but has anyone ever seen it enforced?
Fellow Traveler wrote:I always thought it was odd how they insist on 100 percent agreement in doctrine yet have open communion.
So which is it? Does the COC practice open or closed communion?

Lev
As COCers so love to proclaim, there is no set rule, because no two congregations are governed alike. I imagine that there are some congregations who keep it closed, and the underlying message from the pulpit is that only Christians (COC members) should take it, but in my 3 and a half decades of exposure to the COC, I never once saw it being "officially" addressed, with a "talk to him after services" being the worst that I ever saw done to a person who partook unworthily, AKA not baptized. The trays are passed to every row, and it's kind of up to the person in the pew whether or not he eats or drinks damnation unto his soul.

Essentially, the answer is "yes, it's closed, but no, it's not."

Other branches of the Restoration Movement explicitly practice open communion. The Disciples of Christ, in particular, make a big announcement every week about just how open it is.
KLP

Post by KLP »

Seems like an open format is the norm

1. God gave manna to all and let of bad apples "partake" during the 40yrs
2. Jesus had Judas "partake" at his table.
3. Paul talks about those who "partake" in an unworthy manner

So it seems that the bread of life was offered to all but just because one was "partaking" does not mean that one is approved.
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

Well, I am sure when HEB, Walmart, Sam's Club, ect give out free samples some are given to good decent people and some are given to people who shoplift from them.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
KLP

Post by KLP »

B.H. wrote:Well, I am sure when HEB, Walmart, Sam's Club, ect give out free samples some are given to good decent people and some are given to people who shoplift from them.
There is no FREE sample or lunch. And stolen waters are sweet, and bread eaten in secret is pleasant. But watch out for the listeria from those Texas people,,.HEB has to be behind it all.
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

There is no FREE sample or lunch
Sam Walton and Charles Butt paid the price for you KLP.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
Opie

Post by Opie »

If I recall correctly, the issue of open vs. closed communion was one of the main issues that caused Alexander Campbell to split from the Presbyterian Church. Campbell definitely favored open communion. On the other hand, he would definitely NOT be welcome in most CoCs today because of many of his other views.
"If I had to define my own theme, it would be that of a person who absorbed some of the worst the church has to offer, yet still landed in the loving arms of God." (From the book 'Soul Survivor' by Philip Yancy)