Christians and counseling those with STDs

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
agricola

Re: Christians and counseling those with STDs

Post by agricola »

Hoo boy - so now the local coc's might need to get passes to pass out pamphlets....
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
KLP

Post by KLP »

agricola wrote:Hoo boy - so now the local coc's might need to get passes to pass out pamphlets....
http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/sochi-2014 ... d=22419884

For college kids, here are some quick tips on STD prevention and treatment from the CDC, not the CofC (emphasis added)
http://www.cdc.gov/family/college/
Quick Tips:
- If you are a sexually active female aged 25 years or younger, get tested every year for chlamydia. If left untreated, chlamydia can affect your ability to have children.
- If you are diagnosed with an STD, notify your sex partners so they can be tested and receive treatment if needed. If your sex partner is diagnosed with an STD, you need to be evaluated, tested, and treated.
- The most reliable ways to avoid transmission of STDs, including HIV infection, are to abstain from sexual activity or to be in a long-term mutually monogamous relationship with an uninfected partner.
- Latex male and female condoms, when used consistently and correctly, can reduce the risk of transmission of some STDs.
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
faithfyl

Post by faithfyl »

I did watch the Planned Parenthood "sting" videos, with an open mind. And they were heavily edited videos. They were edited so much that I don't really know what to think about them.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

CofC STD tent counselling
:lol:
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Here's my basic point. I think sex education is a really good thing, especially for very young people who think they are completely invulnerable.

People are going to have sex. Always have, always will. Sex education might at least buy a little time for maturation of the frontal lobe before
major mistakes are made.
KLP

Post by KLP »

faithfyl wrote:I did watch the Planned Parenthood "sting" videos, with an open mind. And they were heavily edited videos. They were edited so much that I don't really know what to think about them.
wow that must have taken hours and hours, because what they have on their site is multi-hour length uncut and raw video...is that what you are calling heavily edited and so confusing to you that you had no idea what you were seeing? Or did you watch something else?
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
faithfyl

Post by faithfyl »

klp wrote:
faithfyl wrote:I did watch the Planned Parenthood "sting" videos, with an open mind. And they were heavily edited videos. They were edited so much that I don't really know what to think about them.
wow that must have taken hours and hours, because what they have on their site is multi-hour length uncut and raw video...is that what you are calling heavily edited and so confusing to you that you had no idea what you were seeing? Or did you watch something else?
KLP, did you spend hours and hours watching the uncut versions? If so, how long did it take you to finish watching all of it?
KLP

Post by KLP »

Of course I didn't claim to have watched the videos and pronounce them "heavily edited"...but since you asked.

Actually, I first watched a couple of the summaries, and then I was curious if it was skewed because some media orgs were saying they were "heavily edited". In fact when you search this topic the term "heavily edited" almost always comes up. Places like Huffpo, Slate, CNN, MSNBS, Jezbel, Politico, MediaMatters, etc. That is why it caught my attention when you used the term.

So I watched the associated full/raw versions to see if the summary versions had changed the actual content to see if the charge is true. I did not find that it did change the content...like the one where they are at the table with the StemExpress people and they are talking about fragile neural tissue is and how it is best to send the entire head. They have a good laugh over the comment about best to have the eyes closed so that when the lab tech opens the package they don't scream or get freaked...so it is just best to warn somebody before they open the package with the baby head inside. Oh, that was good for a chuckle or two over the meal. And then while we are on the topic you know when you are shipping like long bones or something, they do not want to see the foot or hands on the limb, so they want those removed...I mean come on lab techs where do you think these limbs are coming from, but no they do not want to see the little hand or foot on the sample. Hey would you like some coffee or dessert? I would love a cup of coffee. and on and on it goes for about 2 hours.

So yes, the summary video just cuts it down to the parts like that so we don't have to hear all the chit chat about getting there and where you used to work, blah blah blah...but the summary did not change what was said. So after a couple of them where I watched both the cut down version and the full version and I was satisfied they were not making it seem worse than it was, I started going for the summary. I skip the comment and dreadful music in the intro of the summaries, that is too heavy handed IMO. And the film makers are pretending/lying and laughing and putting the people at ease to say certain things, at times leading them to say things or to open up, maybe they are even over stating things...that part to me is bad and unfortunate, but then on the other hand how would we ever know what is going on in the back rooms of the industry if not for these videos? So I struggle with that part.

I don't know, I just did not find the summaries to be confusing or mystifying, all seemed pretty obvious that there is certain attitude in the industry towards the commodity of fetal tissue. And folks like PP are not happy to have that out in the open and on display to the public where the message they want to send is that they are just caring about women's health.

So Faithfyl, I have answered. Now how about you. How many hours did you spend making a serious effort to watch the videos with an open mind before you decided they where "heavily edited" and impossible to understand? Could you really not understand what was on all the video material you watched?
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

I think you have to be pretty jaded to do certain types of work, such as in
the abortion industry, being a mortician, prison executioner, etc. When you really think about it,
it's horrifying. With abortion, yeah, sure...."it's my body" "between my doctor and me", and all of that.
Of course. Still, I'm not surprised there would be very dark humor in what admin and staff might say off the record.
It seems to me you'd have to shut down emotionally to undergo an abortion.....or to perform one and then deal with
the fetal tissue.
Last edited by Ivy on Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
faithfyl

Post by faithfyl »

What I want to know is, where is the part where they supposedly admit to selling fetal parts?