Church Hymns (and Hers) That Got on Your Nerves

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
margin overa

Re: Church Hymns (and Hers) That Got on Your Nerves

Post by margin overa »

There was a little dustup at my home congregation years ago when a newish songleader declined to sing "The Church in the Wildwood", which was a favorite amongst several older members. He objected that it wasn't a praise song, being mainly a nostalgic reflection on an older time, not a song about Jesus or God or that used scripture to make a point (my words, not his). The elders tacitly agreed, but didn't want the older members getting riled, so one of the elders always made a point later of asking for that song to be a part of every singing the church had.
Lev

Post by Lev »

margin overa wrote:There was a little dustup at my home congregation years ago when a newish songleader declined to sing "The Church in the Wildwood", which was a favorite amongst several older members. He objected that it wasn't a praise song, being mainly a nostalgic reflection on an older time, not a song about Jesus or God or that used scripture to make a point (my words, not his). The elders tacitly agreed, but didn't want the older members getting riled, so one of the elders always made a point later of asking for that song to be a part of every singing the church had.
We didn't sing this one because the church is the people, not the building.

Lev
margin overa

Post by margin overa »

Lev wrote:
margin overa wrote:There was a little dustup at my home congregation years ago when a newish songleader declined to sing "The Church in the Wildwood", which was a favorite amongst several older members. He objected that it wasn't a praise song, being mainly a nostalgic reflection on an older time, not a song about Jesus or God or that used scripture to make a point (my words, not his). The elders tacitly agreed, but didn't want the older members getting riled, so one of the elders always made a point later of asking for that song to be a part of every singing the church had.
We didn't sing this one because the church is the people, not the building.

Lev
Right. There were always some people at the congregation that got a pass on things like that. The older ones almost always did, especially those who had been there a long time. The same eldership that let 'em sing "The Church in the Wildwood" at singings also approved a man to go through every hymnal in the building and white out "tears and drops and blood" to "as blood".
illuminator

Post by illuminator »

I have to admit liking -- okay, loving -- God's Family. First time I heard it, I choked up. It's such a beautiful song, but it jut doesn't fit the coc.
Hildegard

Post by Hildegard »

I have to admit liking -- okay, loving -- God's Family. First time I heard it, I choked up. It's such a beautiful song, but it jut doesn't fit the coc.
Are you talking about "We're part of the Family, that's been born again...?"

Two churches I was a part of used to sing that to welcome newly baptized members. The first church would have everyone gather in a circle around the auditorium and hold hands as they introduced the new brother or sister, and sing that song. The second church, same thing, except without the circle gathering. They also sang it every Sunday morning, in a church that did not feel like a family. I have literally heard this song so often that it has no meaning for me.

The second church was also fond of "Light the fire," which I love, but they gave it--and this is possible in a CoC with a praise team :o --a slick commercial performance, just about every time... soooo contradictory to the tune and content.
agricola

Post by agricola »

light the fire...light the fire....drawing a blank here....

The only song I can think of is 'come on baby light my fire' and I'm PRETTY sure that isn't it.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
Lev

Post by Lev »

agricola wrote:light the fire...light the fire....drawing a blank here....

The only song I can think of is 'come on baby light my fire' and I'm PRETTY sure that isn't it.
While the Doors' song is infinitely better, the one being referred to here is one of the more "campy" songs that has made the leap from teen devotional into the regular rotation in some COCs. It goes:

I stand to praise you, but I fall on my knees,
The spirit is willing, but the flesh is so weak,
So light the fire! (light the fire)
In my heart! (in my heart)
Fan the flames! (fan the flames)
And make it start! (make it start)

Or something like that. Just typing from memory. It's got one thing going for it, in terms of COC song-adoption likelihood, and that's the call-and-response, male voices/female voices split. The COC may not use instruments but they tweak every trick possible out of the human voice. Which reminds me of one of my least favorite COC songs. It's called The Greatest Commands and may also go by other names. It's one of those where, with each verse you add one more of the four parts of harmony. The trick here is that each part is singing something entirely different, both in terms of lyrics and even meter. By the time all four parts are added you've got a cacophony of sounds that, to me at least, can only be navigated by shutting off my ears and concentrating on what I'm "supposed" to be singing. Not exactly the most edifying of activities. I can still hear those tenors singing, nay, shouting "God is love! God is love!" over and over in direct conflict with the pace of every other part--each of which is in conflict with the other. Madness.

Lev
agricola

Post by agricola »

Never heard it. I don't think the coc I grew up in sang anything that might be termed a 'camp song'. But I did leave about thirty plus years ago (let's not go there) so things might have changed. I do know it is superficially a lot different - NOW the building has carpet,and padded pews, and powerpoint, and stained glass windows...all of which were anathema when I was young.

But it is still a coc. Exclusively male leadership, no instrumental music, we have the 'Truth' (although the downplay the part that goes with that, which is 'all you other folks are wrong wrong wrong').
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
Moogy

Post by Moogy »

Lev wrote: By the time all four parts are added you've got a cacophony of sounds that, to me at least, can only be navigated by shutting off my ears and concentrating on what I'm "supposed" to be singing. Not exactly the most edifying of activities. I can still hear those tenors singing, nay, shouting "God is love! God is love!" over and over in direct conflict with the pace of every other part--each of which is in conflict with the other. Madness.

Lev
My old COCs would never have allowed that song. It isn't "decently and in order". :lol: :lol: :lol:
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Great thread!! It's bringing back many cofc memories.

When Agri said "baby light my fire" it reminded me of one time when I walked into the
community church / independent christian church we attended at the time, post cofc. The pastor
and his minions were oh so cool, and one Sunday morning they were playing "I Can't Get
No Satisfaction", Stones version, as their bumper music for the sermon. Now, I like rock and
roll as much as the next old hippie, but I couldn't get past them playing that in church.

I just about passed out. :shock:
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~