Church Discipline

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
sonicrainkrieg42

Re: Church Discipline

Post by sonicrainkrieg42 »

I've actually never seen a disfellowship happen, although that may be due to my youth (age 20). I wonder, if you let the church know that you don't agree with their doctrines, and then move away without letting anyone know your address, do they still do the whole letter thing?
Closeted ex coc, trans woman, and secular humanist
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

sonicrainkrieg42 wrote:I've actually never seen a disfellowship happen, although that may be due to my youth (age 20). I wonder, if you let the church know that you don't agree with their doctrines, and then move away without letting anyone know your address, do they still do the whole letter thing?
Good question, sonic.

I think it depends on how hard core your cofc is, and how recently someone has stirred their pot regarding church discipline (example: a preacher from another congregation confronts them about "sin in the camp", or some such. I have actually seen this happen). I also think that sometimes they start worrying about their "candlestick" status, and feel they need to clean house of all the inactive slackers.

I myself have never received a letter. If you can manage to get out under the radar they may never bother you again.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

I myself have never received a letter
Send me your mailing address through the pm system and I will mail you a disfellowship letter. I'll qoute all kinds of verses out of context and disfellowship you for things there is no way in the "bad place" you would have done. :lol:
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
Lev

Post by Lev »

Ivy wrote:I myself have never received a letter...
Apparently the COC is now using pre-printed placards that say "DISFELLOWSHIPPED" in big, bold letters. A COC-in-name-only friend of mine got me one as a joke after I'd left. I probably still have it in a cardboard box somewhere. According to my friend, the placard would be placed on the car of the person who was being disfellowshipped. It had the big-font "DISFELLOWSHIPPED" sign on one side and several proof texts showing that what was being done was "scriptural" on the other. Not sure why it was designed to be placed on a car. That said, if you haven't received a letter yet I'd suggest keeping an eye on your windshield: something might turn up under your wiper blade eventually. It's the biblical way.

Lev
margin overa

Post by margin overa »

Lev wrote: Apparently the COC is now using pre-printed placards that say "DISFELLOWSHIPPED" in big, bold letters. A COC-in-name-only friend of mine got me one as a joke after I'd left. I probably still have it in a cardboard box somewhere. According to my friend, the placard would be placed on the car of the person who was being disfellowshipped. It had the big-font "DISFELLOWSHIPPED" sign on one side and several proof texts showing that what was being done was "scriptural" on the other. Not sure why it was designed to be placed on a car.
Perhaps the congregation wished to avoid the appearance of evil and bypass the secular U.S. Post Office, which countenances sending the mail of false teachers and thereby bids Godspeed to various and sundry villains in a supporting role. Besides, it avoids the cost of sending your letter via certified mail/return receipt requested.

The card idea would have gotten bonus points if it included specific language on "heavy hearts" and expressed hopes the receiver would return to the fold before it is everlastingly too late ("sad, sad, that bitter wail - almoooost - but looooost!").
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

B.H. wrote:
I myself have never received a letter
Send me your mailing address through the pm system and I will mail you a disfellowship letter. I'll qoute all kinds of verses out of context and disfellowship you for things there is no way in the "bad place" you would have done. :lol:
BH, please PM my letter so I can finally have closure!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

LOVE the DISFELLOWSHIPPED™ card!!!! That's awesome. They just stalk you and put it under your windshield????? Is it red?
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
FCOCER

Post by FCOCER »

We had a preacher who wanted the elders to disfellowship a teenage girl because he didn't approve of how she dressed to attend services. She wasn't a baptized member of that congregation. I'm not sure how you disfellowship a non-member! I always believed he was dealing with his own impure thoughts. The elders told him NO.
margin overa

Post by margin overa »

I can think of at least 2 different church services where the elders announced disfellowshipping for at least 4-5 people at once, almost all for forsaking the assembly. Efficient use of one's disciplining time, I guess.
KLP

Post by KLP »

margin overa wrote:I can think of at least 2 different church services where the elders announced disfellowshipping for at least 4-5 people at once, almost all for forsaking the assembly. Efficient use of one's disciplining time, I guess.
Yes, I saw that too. But of course waiting to bunch up a number of people for baptism would be like them Denominations.
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

I disfellowship all of you for lusting after your neighbor's ass.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx