Christians and counseling those with STDs

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
chrisso99

Re: Christians and counseling those with STDs

Post by chrisso99 »

Boy it sure seems like someone is trying to turn this thread into a debate about Planned Parenthood. I'm sure the administrator will come in and clean it up.

BTW, I think we can all agree abortion is inherently gross and disturbing no matter what you feel about it's legality. At the end of the day we live in a society where it is legal and it does happen, a lot, and if those fetuses can be used for science, so be it. Better than throwing them in the trash. If we don't want abortion -and no one does (there's no such thing as pro-abortion) - how does one best prevent it from a public policy standpoint? Abstinence-only has tried and failed to reduce abortions. Comprehensive sex-education combined with easy access to cheap/free contraceptives has been tried and worked well in reducing unwanted pregnancies and therefore abortions.

If a church wants to advocate abstinence-only so be it. That's their right in a free country. However, the public policy implemented by our governments and public institutions should be data-driven, not religion-driven.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

cathym wrote:The campus health center has people trained to do the testing and counseling, plus I'd hope there's a local Planned Parenthood. This is something that should be left to the professionals.

Agree with you here, cathy. Cofc has no business trying to do STD testing and counseling. I see all kinds of
problematic scenarios coming along with that.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
GuitarHero

Post by GuitarHero »

Well, let's see if this one gets locked.
GMan

Post by GMan »

GuitarHero wrote:Well, let's see if this one gets locked.
It may, never say never. Keep it civil and to the point. Thank you.
A life lived in fear,
is a life half lived.

Glen McGuire
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

GMan wrote:It may, never say never. Keep it civil and to the point. Thank you.
Thank you Gman.....you are a true gentleman, and are much appreciated.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
KLP

Post by KLP »

faithfyl wrote:What I want to know is, where is the part where they supposedly admit to selling fetal parts?
I get that there is a semantics based argument on whether they are "selling" baby parts or "just charging fees" to cover shipping and handling. I personally do not wish to engage in such an argument. I personally don't see a constitutional problem with selling/charging/expensing fetal parts as long as it is going to a good cause like research. Since abortion is totally legal and if the baby is dead already then it makes no sense to me to just throw it in the trash when somebody wants to make use out of it.

I think they ought to do a better job at explaining the advancements that have come through research on fetal baby parts, just be upfront and proud of the benefit that comes from having all this aborted fetal tissue. I think that would go a long way towards changing people's minds to be able to see that it just makes good sense to cover and/or offset the abortion expense by netting out some of the remaining value of the aborted baby.
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

I wonder if people can get an STD without having sex but by just getting to close, like an elder explained to his congregation concerning his daughter being preggers out of wedlock. "They did not have sex, they just got too close". :lol:
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
KLP

Post by KLP »

I think the more people, groups, and venues out testing and giving information on STDs the better. I am not for limiting or reducing or preventing any group that wants to provide testing for STDs...in fact I think that limiting it to only certain groups might be detrimental and would certainly reduce the population being reached. Rape does occur but I doubt that is large factor in the total spread of STDs, so it probably has more to do with personal behavior and sexual activity.
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
agricola

Post by agricola »

Such tests should be readily available and part of normal health care, not something special.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
KLP

Post by KLP »

agricola wrote:Such tests should be readily available and part of normal health care, not something special.
But for many folks (like myself) going to a doctor or clinic or any sort of "health care" IS something special. It is much more likely I pass a table or booth at the store or office (or campus if I am a student) than I am going in for any sort of regular or normal health care event. I think men might not go to clinics as often as women, so making it convenient is a good idea.