CofC folk wisdom and sayings...

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
SolaDude

Re: CofC folk wisdom and sayings...

Post by SolaDude »

Did you all experience hearing the same prayer phrases?? I remember week after week hearing one thing in the main morning prayer or the communion prayer: "We thank you Lord that we are able to live our lives without fear of molestation"...I think it was telling God that we are thankful that we (for whatever reason) didn't have to experience physical persecution (torture, etc.) for practicing our faith. I guess the idea was that we were to be thankful somebody else around the world had to take the fall for Christian persecution, not us.
Shrubbery

Post by Shrubbery »

SolaDude wrote:Did you all experience hearing the same prayer phrases?? I remember week after week hearing one thing in the main morning prayer or the communion prayer: "We thank you Lord that we are able to live our lives without fear of molestation"...I think it was telling God that we are thankful that we (for whatever reason) didn't have to experience physical persecution (torture, etc.) for practicing our faith. I guess the idea was that we were to be thankful somebody else around the world had to take the fall for Christian persecution, not us.
Yes, and along those lines, many people thank God for the physical blessings we have in this country. I'm always thinking, "So God blesses us but not the person in a third world country?"

It's good to be thankful, but it's made to sound like God is specifically blessing US and NOT THEM. But I guess that's why we need to send missionaries to them. :roll:

There are sooooooo many coc phrases repeated in prayers, Lord's Supper/offering presidings, etc. But then they'll mock the denominations for saying the Lord's Prayer because it's "vain repetitions".
gordie91

Post by gordie91 »

Not so sure how wise this practice was/is - randomly calling someone to pray when someone comes forward. In college, I was called on when my roommate went forward. I knew way too much to say a prayer for that guy and in that setting. I guess the preacher figured since I didn't go down also I didn't commit the foul and that I could, with a clear conscience petition God on his behalf. I would have never done it in my older age but since I was so young I was kind of scared not to comply. It was not a good feeling.

If I could remember that preacher's name I might be inclined to get in touch and give him some wisdom about not doing crap like that. Seen this happen tons of times, but I was only called on once and boy was it a biggie. I can with certainty, attest to the guy's lack of repentance back then.
Shrubbery

Post by Shrubbery »

I've not seen that practice, gordie. When people go up at my church, the elder who talks with them gets up and prays.
gordie91

Post by gordie91 »

Shrubbery wrote:I've not seen that practice, gordie. When people go up at my church, the elder who talks with them gets up and prays.

It doesn't happen much but I've seen it a handful of times during the course of my life. Usually the person that receives the erring bro/sis is the one that does the praying.
Struggler

Post by Struggler »

I recall C of C folk at one of the many places we lived remark every time they saw a family of boys getting crew cuts for summer: "They must be getting ready for a hard winter."
I never understood what the hell that meant.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Struggler wrote:I recall C of C folk at one of the many places we lived remark every time they saw a family of boys getting crew cuts for summer: "They must be getting ready for a hard winter."
I never understood what the hell that meant.
What an interesting thing to say. I don't know what that means, either.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
Struggler

Post by Struggler »

Makes about as much sense as a lot of C of C doctrines.
teresa
Site Admin

Post by teresa »

What comes to my mind is that a crew cut means it takes longer for hair to grow out, which means you don't need to have haircuts as frequently, which costs less if you go to a professional hair cutter. Hence, preparing for a harsh winter when money will be tight.
Struggler

Post by Struggler »

teresa wrote:What comes to my mind is that a crew cut means it takes longer for hair to grow out, which means you don't need to have haircuts as frequently, which costs less if you go to a professional hair cutter. Hence, preparing for a harsh winter when money will be tight.
I would get that. But I'd hear this in spring and early summer, too. Just sounded strange to me.