The State Religion of the 50s and being marginalized.....

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
agricola

Re: The State Religion of the 50s and being marginalized....

Post by agricola »

You too!
The way we use language includes assumptions, and sometimes those assumptions aren't valid for the other person in the conversation, which leads to a lot of unnecessary confusion. I just wanted to be clearer. I hope I was clearer!
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
katisha

Post by katisha »

Going back to the original post of this topic, I was not marginalized like some of the rest of you because I did not belong to the CofC until 1972, after I got married to my first husband. I was raised in the south, but it was south Florida, and I was exposed to just about all religions, including Jewish, so I never looked at the world through Protestant colored glasses. I enjoyed celebrating Chanukah with my Jewish friends and we sang songs about it in school. Of course back in the early 60s we still read the Bible and said the Lord's prayer every morning in school, right after the Pledge of Allegiance. And we had pageants for Christmas, Chanukah, Passover and Easter.
Think for yourselves, and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too."-- Voltaire, philosopher and historian
Cootie Brown

Post by Cootie Brown »

I grew up in this era too. It seems to me the influence of religion wasn't a regional thing, it pretty much permeated the entire country. I grew up in Northern Indiana & religion had a strong influence there. My father was an atheists & my mother was maybe agnostic at best but I don't remember ever hearing the word "sex" uttered in my presence.

The message I got was that sex was dirty until you got married then it was okay. Even though my mother wasn't religious she believed in hell. I know, that makes no sense. My middle sister was the first one in the family to have a come to Jesus moment @ a tent revival. She was married at the time but I remember my dad telling her that was okay for her but he didn't want any of that religious nonsense mentioned in his house.

Even though my dad was an atheists religion did influence our household. The grip religion had on this country was real back then, but that has changed. Religion in America seems to be following Europe's decline. Religion will likely always be with us but it's influence & membership will likely continue to decline.