So, some Jehovah's witness knocked on my door...

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
KLP

Re: So, some Jehovah's witness knocked on my door...

Post by KLP »

I am so glad to be free and clear of a system that is dependent on what some group men think the word of God should mean.
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
agricola

Post by agricola »

yeah - but there's no mandate to BELIEVE them! You can find yourself a 'rabbi' (teacher) that you prefer. As you have seen (I hope) their opinions are all over the place - and ALL of those opinions are 'valid'. I like Judaism: you are allowed to argue. You are almost REQUIRED to argue. It's a thing.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
margin overa

Post by margin overa »

klp wrote:Yes the Jews seemed to be particularly given to various corruptions and false thinking for which they are punished and taken to task for on numerous occasions. But that does not establish that there was not a particular truth and message from God and that there were actual faithful and approved followers and teachers of that divine will.
This bit of polling data brought to you courtesy of the Aryan Brotherhood. Stay tuned for our free offer to inquiring minds - "The Seven Protocols of the Elders of Zion" and "The International Jew". Operators are standing by!
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

margin overa wrote:
klp wrote:Yes the Jews seemed to be particularly given to various corruptions and false thinking for which they are punished and taken to task for on numerous occasions. But that does not establish that there was not a particular truth and message from God and that there were actual faithful and approved followers and teachers of that divine will.
This bit of polling data brought to you courtesy of the Aryan Brotherhood. Stay tuned for our free offer to inquiring minds - "The Seven Protocols of the Elders of Zion" and "The International Jew". Operators are standing by!
Ummm, why is this racist? I thought the whole story of the OT is: Jews follow God, then they don't, He punishes them, then they follow him again. Wash rinse repeat. Not racist, just history.
margin overa

Post by margin overa »

Dodger wrote:
margin overa wrote:
Ummm, why is this racist? I thought the whole story of the OT is: Jews follow God, then they don't, He punishes them, then they follow him again. Wash rinse repeat. Not racist, just history.
Tongue in cheek, just a bit. Just a bit. You don't see anything a trifle - er - problematic in his assertion? The various disasters that befell the Jewish people were interpreted by later scribes and scholars within the tradition just like yahoos in America blame Hurricane Katrina on American sin. Rinse, lather, and repeat, perhaps. Funny notion of "history", but there you go. His statement sounds rather snotty, whatever his intentions.
agricola

Post by agricola »

Guys - IF I had felt offended, I could have said something myself.

There's a certain comfortable distance between 'don't really know/this is what I've heard' and 'I hate you and the ground you walk upon'. I think I can tell the difference.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
margin overa

Post by margin overa »

agricola wrote:Guys - IF I had felt offended, I could have said something myself.

There's a certain comfortable distance between 'don't really know/this is what I've heard' and 'I hate you and the ground you walk upon'. I think I can tell the difference.
Oh, I know you're quite capable of defending yourself, and don't require our weak remonstrances on your behalf. For the record, I don't really think the guy actually falls into the category of the Kristallnacht apologist; just a bit tactless.
GMan

Post by GMan »

144,000. Who are they?
A life lived in fear,
is a life half lived.

Glen McGuire
KLP

Post by KLP »

VIP and A-Listers
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
agricola

Post by agricola »

JW's believe that only 144,000 people will actually be saved, or at least directly saved without having to pass 'Go', so to speak. It's some multiple of 12 for the 12 tribes. 12x12000