Effects of Locke on Campbell Stone churches

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
EricPrine

Effects of Locke on Campbell Stone churches

Post by EricPrine »

Hi,
I had recently heard about the 'Richardson-Fanning Controversy' which happened early on in the history of the Campbell Stone churches- Fanning taking the position of the philosophy of John Locke being the proper lens to exegete scriptures, to the point that it minimized the role of the Holy Spirit greatly and Dr Robert Richardson taking the position that the Campbell Stone churches were neglecting emphasis on the Holy Spirit to the point that it intellectualized their religion and minimized spirituality.
I'm looking for books and other source recommendations on how the Enlightenment has influenced the Campbell Stone mindset today.
Thanks!
-- btw, this is a new handle but I participated in this group briefly 10+ years ago. I was involved in Campbell Stone churches for a few years in my twenties.
gordie91

Re: Effects of Locke on Campbell Stone churches

Post by gordie91 »

Hey there,
I too, have looked at philosophy and done some looking into the enlightenment period. I was born and raised NICoc and married a PK. Very conservative background.

I came across a podcast a few years ago that compared other christian faiths and other religions to Orthodoxy. Since the podcast, there has been a book with updates. It is by no means deep but it is very good at putting the different thoughts and influences of the various religions in perspective. It also helped to keep things in line through history explaining what influenced the various doctrines and beliefs of the different denominations. His compare and contrast of the Great Awakening movements was informative but he doesn't talk much detail about the Campbell-Stone Restoration Movement. It is a good start however for further reading because of the references to what brought the teachings and practices. The book is Orthodoxy and Heterodoxy by Fr. Andrew Stephen Damick.

I will do some looking but I remember some work that sees Bacon's heavy influence on the Restoration Movement and how they interpret the scriptures. Much of the theology seems to me to be of the pietistic movement that naturally progressed into the individualistic rational way of doing theology. Of course, the main assumption is Sola Scriptura. So naturally, some school of philosophy is needed in which to interpret the scriptures. And it is here that all the various denominations spring and produce all the different varieties of intellectualism to full on charismatic feel it to know theologies.

Welcome to the board!
EricPrine

Post by EricPrine »

Thanks!
Btw, I am lightly familiar w/ Fr Andrew Stephen Damick. I have a few friends who are friends with him and I like his Areopagus podcast- good stuff!
Opie

Post by Opie »

Try to find a copy of Richard T. Hughes book "Reviving the Ancient Faith -- The Story of the Churches of Christ in America". I discusses Baconianism and its effects on Alexander Campbell in particular, as well as others. Campbell, Stone, and other leaders in the Restoration Movement were definitely products of the age in which they lived, just as we all are.
"If I had to define my own theme, it would be that of a person who absorbed some of the worst the church has to offer, yet still landed in the loving arms of God." (From the book 'Soul Survivor' by Philip Yancy)