"John the Baptizer?"

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
illuminator

"John the Baptizer?"

Post by illuminator »

Did your congregation use "John the Baptizer" or stick with "John the Baptist?"

Also were Yahweh and/or Yeshua forbidden?
zeek

Re: "John the Baptizer?"

Post by zeek »

Last edited by zeek on Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KLP

Post by KLP »

John the Apostle (with a hard T sometimes too lol)
and
John the Baptist. Which is really amazing now that I think of it. But there were some who said "the baptizer" but nothing that I could recall was ever made over it...I was pretty connected in the NI branch in a certain large area...I am just surprised I never was taught that there were sides on this issue and that I should be on a certain side.
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
Struggler

Post by Struggler »

We used both, explaining that's what the word "Baptist" means.
The old biddies and bubbas pronounced it "babdis."
illuminator

Post by illuminator »

I remember being a little boy and before Sunday evening service the preacher would gather all the kids up front and play "Who Am I?" and the winner would get a prize. Tie-breaking question, and I got it right! John the Baptist! And then the preacher's wife's corrected me, "It's John the Baptizer." Followed by a lengthy discourse on the Baptists, and we mustn't associate ourselves with them.

:cry:
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Struggler wrote:We used both, explaining that's what the word "Baptist" means.
The old biddies and bubbas pronounced it "babdis."
You forgot the eyeroll that goes along with uttering the work "babdis".
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
illuminator

Post by illuminator »

Along the same lines, I hated clinging to archaic and outdated words like epistle for letter and brethren for brothers (sorry ladies, no sistern!). "Epistle" sounded like an affliction and "brethren" was what you took for it. "I'm Peter, and I have an epistle THIS big, but I take extra-strength brethren for it!"
bnot

Post by bnot »

I remember various preachers saying John the Baptist, but would explain that he was John the Baptizer to support their water saves doctrine, even though his Baptism didn't save anybody.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

If a Presbyterian minister was named John would he be John the Sprinklist or John the Sprinkler?

Is the pope a papist or a popizer?
Last edited by B.H. on Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

Yahweh

Funny story. A woman did not know that was God's personal name in the Bible. Someone critical of the Bible on a call in radio show kept using the name Yahweh saying "Yahweh killed kids, Yahweh destroyed whole towns ect.". This poor woman called in and griped at him saying he needed to read the Bible because the Bible god was called God and the Lord, not Yahweh. The poor radio hosts just laughed it was too much.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx