COC History of the Church Timeline

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
skitty

COC History of the Church Timeline

Post by skitty »

Hello I just joined yesterday. I wanted to know about any opinions or insights about a "Timeline" that makes it look like the COC has been around since the beginning of NT church history. Then it shows all the splits of other denominations through to the present time.Is this real or made up by Coc.Thanks for any thoughts on this.
Ramblin' Jack

Re: COC History of the Church Timeline

Post by Ramblin' Jack »

Last edited by Ramblin' Jack on Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
agricola

Post by agricola »

It's false - and very popular in the coc.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
Lev

Post by Lev »

skitty wrote:...any opinions or insights about a "Timeline" that makes it look like the COC has been around since the beginning of NT church history...
It's utter BS.

That said, I've seen a similar one that has the Eastern Orthodox church as the main "trunk" of the tree, from which others have split. So at least the COC isn't alone in its delusion.

Lev
NeverAgain

Post by NeverAgain »

To answer your original question: it is made up by the Church of Christ denomination.
Moogy

Post by Moogy »

Ramblin' Jack wrote:Here it is, skitty:

http://charlesdailey.net/churchhistoryrev2-11.pdf

My thought about it is that it is myopic, delusional, and just plain wrong.
Clearly, the CoC actually started in the 1800's as a branch off the Stone-Campbell movement.
That must be an old chart. It shows the United Brethren and Methodists as two separate lines. Those two churches merged in 1968 to create the United Methodist Church.
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages
Lev

Post by Lev »

Moogy wrote:That must be an old chart. It shows the United Brethren and Methodists as two separate lines. Those two churches merged in 1968 to create the United Methodist Church.
Well since the COC stopped updating things around 1958, that makes perfect sense.

Lev
Ramblin' Jack

Post by Ramblin' Jack »

Last edited by Ramblin' Jack on Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bnot

Post by bnot »

In order to help make that timeline right, you would have to erase the Church of Christ from the beginning and throughout the "wilderness" and have it beginning in the 1800's in the United States.
KLP

Post by KLP »

I think it would be helpful to overlay this timeline with global temperatures in order to notice "patterns". I think it would then be obvious that the growth in the quantity of variants of denominations would track with the alarming and dangerous upswing in Global Warming. You People have been warned over and over about the danger and destruction due to denominationalism but would you listen...NOooooooo!
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.