Another CofC Closing Its Doors

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
NeverAgain

Another CofC Closing Its Doors

Post by NeverAgain »

The White's Creek Church of Christ in a still-rural part of Nashville/Davidson County, Tennessee, recently threw in the towel, as the increasingly elderly congregation failed repeatedly to attract any new members, had virtually no young people (meaning, under age 60 or so), and no converts. It closed its doors last month. It was a very old CofC with a pretty nice old building and a significant history in the CofC denomination. I drive by it every morning on the way to work, and I noticed its sign mentioned its "last Sunday" a few weeks ago.

The fate of this particular church seems to me to be indicative of the future of the CofC denomination. As its membership relentlessly ages, loses its young people wholesale, fails to convert any significant number of people at all, becomes increasingly even more unimportant and irrelevant to society as a whole, falls victim to the now-universal ability to fact-check its preposterous claims about its history and validity using information age technology, and generally implodes on its own negativity and legalism, the denomination continues its march toward extinction. I see every closure of a Church of Christ as a positive and hopeful event and as evidence of the steady erosion of its membership.

Here's the only link I can find discussing the matter. The writer, another CofC preacher, of course just doesn't get it. The CofC is doomed.

http://start2finish.org/will-your-churc ... of-christ/
Pitts S2C

Re: Another CofC Closing Its Doors

Post by Pitts S2C »

Could it be due to the fact that they’re not actually preaching ‘The Truth’?
NeverAgain

Post by NeverAgain »

No CofC is preaching "The Truth." That's one reason the denomination is dying.
KLP

Post by KLP »

I wonder why this access to internet fact checking and rigid rules stuff doesn't have the same effect and kill off Mormon/LDS, JW, or even Islam? It would seem CofC is a milder version in almost all aspects. Maybe that is the problem, CofC needs to get back to "Distinctive" preaching...how about a 5 day meeting on being a "peculiar people of the book with distinctive preaching" and then follow up with another awesome series on "The Home". Sign up sheet in the vestibule for hosting the visiting preacher for supper.
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

klp wrote:I wonder why this access to internet fact checking and rigid rules stuff doesn't have the same effect and kill off Mormon/LDS, JW, or even Islam? It would seem CofC is a milder version in almost all aspects. Maybe that is the problem, CofC needs to get back to "Distinctive" preaching...how about a 5 day meeting on being a "peculiar people of the book with distinctive preaching" and then follow up with another awesome series on "The Home". Sign up sheet in the vestibule for hosting the visiting preacher for supper.

Islam isn't intimidated one bit by Al Gore's internets.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
agricola

Post by agricola »

Interesting article, NeverAgain. No matter what I may think about the coc and coc preachers, I do think the author put his finger on the right button - he just didn't recognize that the problem he identified is 'natural' to the coc (and a good many other similar denominations as well). Plus of course, the natural and human resistance to change, even when that change is clearly identified as desirable. Those church members had their identity so tied to a particular attitude and a particular way of doing things, that they were willing to 'die' rather than substantially change.

RIP I guess.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
Lev

Post by Lev »

klp wrote:Sign up sheet in the vestibule for hosting the visiting preacher for supper.
Forget liberal/conservative or institutional/anti. The real division in the COC is between those churches that call it a "vestibule" and those that call it a "foyer."

Lev
GMan

Post by GMan »

Sort of saddened to see this, but in away in is inevitable. Hope that the building could be of use for someone.
A life lived in fear,
is a life half lived.

Glen McGuire
zeek

Post by zeek »

Last edited by zeek on Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grace

Post by Grace »

Visiting family last Christmas. I was at two CoC s in two different states and 90% of those in attendance were over 60. They each had one young family with young kids. These churches will not last.