Differences between black and white CoC's

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
LeeLeeLoves

Differences between black and white CoC's

Post by LeeLeeLoves »

First off, let me say that I find it sad that churches in general are still some of the most segregated places left in America. With that being said, I grew up in a congregation that was 98% black and any families that were white that attended, didn't stick around for more than a couple of years because they weren't embraced as they should've been and it always pissed me the hell off. Have any of you noticed how separated the CoC's are from each other and how very rarely they come together to worship?
agricola

Re: Differences between black and white CoC's

Post by agricola »

That's not unique to coc - Sunday morning has been called 'the most segregated hour in America' for good reason. Even when it's not actually deliberate, differences in worship styles usually make white-dominant and black-dominant services uncomfortable socially to the other race, thus exacerbating the problem of non-diversity.

It gets especially bad when a congregation (no matter what type) is so comfortable with their own company, that they end up actually shutting out and driving away new members or visitors, just by being 'themselves' and not being open to change.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
bnot

Post by bnot »

agricola wrote:That's not unique to coc - Sunday morning has been called 'the most segregated hour in America' for good reason. Even when it's not actually deliberate, differences in worship styles usually make white-dominant and black-dominant services uncomfortable socially to the other race, thus exacerbating the problem of non-diversity.
What Agricola said is indeed true. I am black and I have spent years at both black and white congregations. The differences I have seen are as follows, based on where I have attended over the years:

*black churches and white churches know many of the same hymns but sing them differently in their own churches

*white churches know more hymns in Sacred Selections and Songs of the Church hymnals, but black churches know numerous songs that aren't published in those hymnals. They provide the lyrics in a separate book (usually a notebook or something similar) and most members know these by heart

*white churches start on time and end on time, where black churches can fluctuate (there are some exceptions to this rule)

*when black churches have singings, they serve full meals and have musical groups/choirs perform songs in front of the audience. White churches sing only hymns from the book and have no special groups perform. Serve light refreshments like cookies and beverages

*some black churches will hand clap and white ones will not

That's all I can think of right now, based only on my personal experience.
Pitts S2C

Post by Pitts S2C »

In the upper Midwest where I grew up we had 3 white (sound) coC congregations and 1 black (sound) coC congregation. When the black congregates would assemble at my church (like for a singing on a Friday night) the white people seemed to be absolutely scared and not really sure what to do. The older white coc’ers were especially terrified. The blacks were more energetic in their singing along with showing emotion that was considered taboo. To me, it was refreshing since they would easily outsing the white people. Culturally, it just seemed like they didn’t know how to handle it since mixing like that was not considered to be unscriptural.
LeeLeeLoves

Post by LeeLeeLoves »

My former church while adding their own "style" to hymns and songs, we start and end on time. People would leave if they had to stay pass 11:45 (service starts promptly at 10) I
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

The congregation I stll attend is racially diverse but works like a "white" church. In some of the ladies' bible classes some of the black women have brought up a few differences. In many black churches there are no elders, the deacons run everything and the minister is obviously the Big boss. There is a lot more open nepotism. Women are a lot more vocal and powerful. The invitation call can be more high pressured and even personal.