Trying to enjoy services

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
sonicrainkrieg42

Trying to enjoy services

Post by sonicrainkrieg42 »

I believe every ex CoCer has tried to force themselves to like church at least once in their lives. I can remember being in my pre teens, and trying to get myself pumped up and excited for church, but I could never do it. During the service itself, I would try to enjoy it, but the most I got out of it was "Huh, singing doesn't sound too bad today...".
Closeted ex coc, trans woman, and secular humanist
katisha

Re: Trying to enjoy services

Post by katisha »

The only time I ever enjoyed services, truly enjoyed services, was when my son was in the pulpit. He filled in about a half dozen times for the minister when he was a teen. I enjoyed those sermons. At least I could stay awake during them. ;)
Think for yourselves, and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too."-- Voltaire, philosopher and historian
MusicMan826

Post by MusicMan826 »

Enjoy services!?!? You're there to worship God, not be entertained!! If you want to be entertained go to one of those liberal churches that put on rock concerts and are on the fast path to hell! No enjoying services here!!!

...at least that's what I was always told. Church wasn't meant to be enjoyable, and if you found yourself enjoying church, usually you were doing something you weren't supposed to be doing.
Opie

Post by Opie »

Ditto Music Man! Worship services in the CoC were never meant to be enjoyed, they were meant to be endured!
"If I had to define my own theme, it would be that of a person who absorbed some of the worst the church has to offer, yet still landed in the loving arms of God." (From the book 'Soul Survivor' by Philip Yancy)
Pitts S2C

Post by Pitts S2C »

I really tried sooo hard to enjoy the services. Since coC preachers & elders don’t like to preach on or discuss Bible application to everyday life one can only get so much enjoyment out of constantly studying Bible history. Essentially, coC services are comprised of history lessons and bashing other churches (very little real life application discussion is allowed). Probably the only time that I enjoyed the service is when the discussion was applicable to our everyday lives. I know I focused on real life examples when I taught class and preached (and everyone seemed to appreciate it). Some of the singing was enjoyable (at times).

How much enjoyment can one get after studying Paul’s missionary journeys for the millionth time?

Plus, if “you would just try harder and put more into services” you would enjoy it!
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

I was always pounded with the Heb 10:25 "NOT FORSAKING THE ASSEMBLY", but if we ever experienced the verse before it," consider one another, and encourage each other in love and good deeds", the assembly might actually be enjoyable! :D
agricola

Post by agricola »

"Worship services are not supposed to be FUN!' (or even mildly uplifting or enjoyable, apparently)

Heard far too frequently, from many people - but, thankfully, not the majority. Most of the people I knew 'at church' seemed to find the services comforting or comfortable or pleasant to at least SOME degree - if also mildly boring. Some claimed to be truly edified by the sermons.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
KLP

Post by KLP »

Agri, the term you are seeking is "Stockholm Syndrome". :)
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

The CoC would condemn God for putting on a big show at Sinai.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
agricola

Post by agricola »

klp wrote:Agri, the term you are seeking is "Stockholm Syndrome". :)
:lol:
Well, yes, but I wasn't going to SAY that!

I don't really remember paying too much attention to the sermons, after a while. They all kind of blur together while at the same time seeming disjointed and scattered. Verse this, verse that, proves this, proves that, jump HERE, go THERE, and that's why we are the Only True Church. Now rise as we stand and sing Just As I Am (don't forget to skip verse three).
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.