CoC funerals

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
sonicrainkrieg42

CoC funerals

Post by sonicrainkrieg42 »

So, I just read this story: http://www.dallasvoice.com/home-10189453.html

It made me think of how the CoC does funerals. I remember when my great grandmother died, the preacher who conducted the service used it as an excuse to preach a sermon about salvation. I felt that it was extremely disrespectful of him to preach doctrine at her funeral.

Anyone else have similar experiences?
Closeted ex coc, trans woman, and secular humanist
agricola

Re: CoC funerals

Post by agricola »

Oh naturally. CoC's aren't the only funeral-sermon offenders either. It's typical for coc and baptists, and probably others as well. When else are they going to get such a chance as a funeral to preach to the unchurched?
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
Melanie

Post by Melanie »

I have been to very few cofC funerals that were NOT "come to Jesus and get saved before it's everlastingly too late" sermons. Opportunistic much?
Opie

Post by Opie »

I also witnessed it at a funeral at an Assembly of God congregation. The CoC isn't the only guilty party.
"If I had to define my own theme, it would be that of a person who absorbed some of the worst the church has to offer, yet still landed in the loving arms of God." (From the book 'Soul Survivor' by Philip Yancy)
katisha

Post by katisha »

At my Ex's funeral, I have been told, the minister preached the usual walk of shame BS, and then added that the Ex probably would have lived longer had our son not left the CofC and lead a more "Christian" life. Can you imagine how my son felt, sitting there, grieving over his father, and being told he was the cause of the poor man's death? Any hope they ever had of getting my son or me back into the fold was totally destroyed at that moment. Thank God.
Think for yourselves, and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too."-- Voltaire, philosopher and historian
OneStrike_ur_out

Post by OneStrike_ur_out »

Yikes!! :shock: Going a step beyond even the Westboro Baptist church? I NEVR thought I would see that day. I mean, how could the WBC let that happen? Is Fred Phelps just slippng in his old age, or what? As someone told me years ago, the church of Christ is basically Westboro Baptist minus the picketing!
"HE HAS GOTTEN PULLED AWAY!!"-The cOC's go-to answer whenever someone leaves.
Struggler

Post by Struggler »

Fred Phelps is dead. Some of his children have continued his foolishness. WBC is mostly his relatives.
OneStrike_ur_out

Post by OneStrike_ur_out »

Struggler wrote:Fred Phelps is dead. Some of his children have continued his foolishness. WBC is mostly his relatives.
Old Fred finally bit the dust, huh? I wonder if Shirley is considered the new leader of that cult now.
"HE HAS GOTTEN PULLED AWAY!!"-The cOC's go-to answer whenever someone leaves.
agricola

Post by agricola »

Yes she is. But some of the younger ones are getting away (at last). I'm thinking the Westboro church may not survive another generation (I hope).

About Westboro church, though: Westboro isn't actually out there trying to convert anybody - they are REJOICING that their warnings are 'real' and America is doomed.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
bnot

Post by bnot »

Choc funerals are just like Sunday morning service. Nobody's smiling, and the plan of salvation is hammered down everyone's throat.