Favorite CoC song

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
juliac

Favorite CoC song

Post by juliac »

I saw lyrics online to "To God Be the Glory great things He hath done" hymn on Facebook today and was stuck in my head all day. I go to a Church that is instrumental (and when I say instrumental, about all instruments are used), but there are some songs I enjoyed with a cappella. What were some of you all's favorites in the CoC? :)
'
Currently writing a book based on my experiences as a child in the CoC. Watch for updates so I can include other ex-members insights :)
Ivy

Re: Favorite CoC song

Post by Ivy »

None with IM!!!! :shock: :o :shock: :o
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
cathym

Post by cathym »

With enough people who can actually sing reasonably well and follow the dynamics, "Master, the Tempest Is Raging" is really great.
agricola

Post by agricola »

I won't say it is a favorite -
but although we tend to diss it a lot, I think Low in the Grave He Lay has a TERRIFIC chorus. Done right. It really takes advantage of the bass line too, which most songs don't.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

I always liked It is Well With My Soul. The congregation I grew up in had some flat out awesome singers, and it didn't drag like I've heard elsewhere.
Moogy

Post by Moogy »

Amazing Grace :P
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages
Lev

Post by Lev »

I'm not sure that any of these could be called "COC songs." Just saying.

Lev
KLP

Post by KLP »

It is hard to do better than good ol' Stamps Baxter Barbershop ditty. I mean how else can you get all snappy and upbeat singing about the suffering on the cross.
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
agricola

Post by agricola »

Well sure - I always enjoyed a good Stamps Baxter ditty!

(at least they MOVED)
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
illuminator

Post by illuminator »

I'm always amazed at the beauty of "God's Family" and how empty it is at the same time.