Water into ... Kool-Aid?

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
illuminator

Water into ... Kool-Aid?

Post by illuminator »

Ever notice how out of the way the coc would dumb down the miracle of turning water into wine, always with some lame excuse of wine-like, non-alcohol? ?they make it sound like Kool-Aid instead of a miracle? Thoughts? Do you think it was wine as we know it, or more coc spin-doctoring?
agricola

Re: Water into ... Kool-Aid?

Post by agricola »

Of course it was wine. The story specifically says it was wine (it even says it was GOOD wine).
Also, the Med (and Israel specifically) were known for their wines.
People drank a kind of beer, and they drank wine.
Nobody had refrigerators. Fresh juice would have been just that - FRESH juice, squeezed right that minute.
Also:
It was a PARTY.

Why would anybody even think it WASN'T wine?
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
FinallyFree

Post by FinallyFree »

When I was growing up, my parents told me that when it talked about wine in the Bible, it just meant grape juice.
illuminator

Post by illuminator »

I like your ID there FinallyFree.

Yes, of course, it was wine. It was just something that popped into my head. I remember an elder scolding me for cooking with wine or beer. I said the alcohol evaporates leaving the flavor. BUT! How would I get said beer or wine? If I bought it -- even for cooking purposes -- someone might see me and it might cause them to stumble!

It never ended with these people.
Ashes64

Post by Ashes64 »

Of course it was wine. Ever try to get drunk on grape juice? :?
Opie

Post by Opie »

In the Greek language of the bible, there is a word for grape juice and there is also another word for wine. John used the Greek word for wine (oinos) in John chapter 2, and not the word for grape juice. I'm sure John knew the difference. It's being intellectually dishonest with the bible to twist the wording to mean what the CoC wants it to mean, but they do it all the time.
"If I had to define my own theme, it would be that of a person who absorbed some of the worst the church has to offer, yet still landed in the loving arms of God." (From the book 'Soul Survivor' by Philip Yancy)
cathym

Post by cathym »

I think some of the wines of that era weren't as strong as many of our wines today, but it was really the only safe thing to drink -- they didn't know they needed to purify the water to kill the germs; the alcohol took care of that.
illuminator

Post by illuminator »

Strong enough for Noah to get drunk and Ham to do whatever he did.
cathym

Post by cathym »

Oh, they definitely had the strong stuff, too. I recommend Tom Standage's A History of the World in Six Glasses if you want to know more about the role various beverages have played in the development of societies over history.
bnot

Post by bnot »

The coc thinks the water was turned into Welch's grape juice, complete with label and bar code.