example of Church of Christ silliness

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
B.H.

example of Church of Christ silliness

Post by B.H. »

h*tp://www.christianresearcher.com/store/p997/ ... attey.html

They actually wrote two books on how to argue your case against multiple cups in communion and the Sunday School.

The one on Sunday School is over 140 pages. I haven't read the one about the one cup yet (yippee!). Maybe Ivyrose and KLP could look at it for me and make sure its something I could "handle". Get it--handle on a cup!

The sad thing about the Sunday School book is that they do point out a couple of really bad inconsistencies between the doctrine and practice of the typical sunday schooler CoC but without realizing it they prove a sunday school or bible class or whatever you want to call it could be used by that same church with a few tweaks of belief and practice. :roll: Would you like for me to explain this to all of you or would you like to read the book and find out for yourself?

The one cup---bah. I could accept the container represents the new covenant but they could never prove to me its contents were not divided into smaller individual cups per Luke 22:17-22.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
Ivy

Re: example of Church of Christ silliness

Post by Ivy »

Silly to the nth degree.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
faithfyl

Post by faithfyl »

B.H. wrote:h*tp://www.christianresearcher.com/store/p997/ ... attey.html

They actually wrote two books on how to argue your case against multiple cups in communion and the Sunday School.

The one on Sunday School is over 140 pages. I haven't read the one about the one cup yet (yippee!).
Maybe their next 140 page book can be about what kind of cup(s) should be used and what material they should be made out of. Plastic cups? Metal cups? Glass cups?
zeek

Post by zeek »

Last edited by zeek on Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
faithfyl

Post by faithfyl »

I thought it was called "bread" In the scripture. Not cracker....

Our church has gluten free crackers now for communion. Is that scriptural? I bet that could be another 140 page book.
zeek

Post by zeek »

Last edited by zeek on Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

I believe the author of these books takes the stand that the communion bread must be one loaf and everyone pinch off a part of it as it is passed around. I have to say that one cup people don't use that poor excuse of unleavened bread that is just a roasted cracker without salt. They make their loaf fresh every Sunday morning and real unleavened bread can actually be quite tasty.

The word for bread or loaf in the communion passages are in the singular, not plural, so it is one loaf.

BH knows his anti-doctrines. I once read over 50 books and phamlets on the Sunday School issue alone. And people say I ain't normal. :lol:
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
faithfyl

Post by faithfyl »

I don't want to drink out of the same cup as everyone else, or pinch off the same loaf of bread, because I do not want someone else's germs. It is more sanitary to have individual cups and pieces of cracker.
agricola

Post by agricola »

The context is that of a shared meal. The bread would have been passed around and each person would have torn off a piece. The cup would be passed around and each person would have poured out some into their own personal individual cup (which every person carried around with them).

OTOH, since the coc says the whole thing is symbolic anyway, they can do it anyway that seems symbolically 'right'. Right?
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
Pitts S2C

Post by Pitts S2C »

This thread alone proves that no one can get it perfectly 'right'. Especially not the members within the coc.