Saved by grace

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
faithfyl

Saved by grace

Post by faithfyl »

A c of c relative put this on FB today. A picture of Noah's ark, and it said "Grace did not save Noah. Obedience did".
zeek

Re: Saved by grace

Post by zeek »

Last edited by zeek on Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
faithfyl

Post by faithfyl »

zeek wrote:
faithfyl wrote:A c of c relative put this on FB today. A picture of Noah's ark, and it said "Grace did not save Noah. Obedience did".
No surprise; there's no grace in coC theology. Despite their claims to the contrary their's is pure salvation by works. One earns his salvation by being good enough, only no body can ever be good enough so no body's gonna be saved. Practicing coC religion is about as good an example of a waste of time as I know.
Yep, that's what I suspected the message was about.
Pitts S2C

Post by Pitts S2C »

It's like a dog frantically chasing its tail while slowly losing hope over time in ever catching it.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

faithfyl wrote:A c of c relative put this on FB today. A picture of Noah's ark, and it said "Grace did not save Noah. Obedience did".
There you have the fatal flaw in their doctrine.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
Lev

Post by Lev »

I remember years ago I was talking with my mother (a lifelong COCer) about grace, works, and salvation. She said, "I'm just not sure that I've done enough good to get to go to heaven." She seemed genuinely worried. I told her, as softly as possible, that she hadn't. No one had. It was only by God's grace that anyone would be given the gift of eternal life*. She honestly did not seem to get it or even to agree, so entrenched was the works-based theology she had always known.

Lev

*Leaving aside, for the time, my thoughts on the idea of "going to heaven."
MusicMan826

Post by MusicMan826 »

Lev wrote:I remember years ago I was talking with my mother (a lifelong COCer) about grace, works, and salvation. She said, "I'm just not sure that I've done enough good to get to go to heaven." She seemed genuinely worried. I told her, as softly as possible, that she hadn't. No one had. It was only by God's grace that anyone would be given the gift of eternal life*. She honestly did not seem to get it or even to agree, so entrenched was the works-based theology she had always known.

Lev

*Leaving aside, for the time, my thoughts on the idea of "going to heaven."
My grandmother spent her last days almost in tears worrying that she hadn't done enough to get into heaven and that it was too late for her. No matter what any of us told her, she wasn't convinced. I hate how the COC does this to people, pounding in their heads how impossible it is to get into heaven, making people worrying on their deathbed that they didn't do enough and making them think they're going to hell.
Lev

Post by Lev »

MusicMan826 wrote:My grandmother spent her last days almost in tears worrying that she hadn't done enough to get into heaven and that it was too late for her. No matter what any of us told her, she wasn't convinced. I hate how the COC does this to people, pounding in their heads how impossible it is to get into heaven, making people worrying on their deathbed that they didn't do enough and making them think they're going to hell.
I'm sorry to hear that your grandmother's final days were filled with such angst. I hope that deep down she had learned enough about God through the COC to know that he is a God of grace. I also hope the same for my mother, when her time comes.

Lev
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

It was out of grace Allah told Noah there was going to be a flood and to build the ark...just sayin'.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
Opie

Post by Opie »

This past summer I attended the funeral of a CoC member, and one of the songs that was sung at the service was Amazing Grace. I was surprised to see that in the verse with the words "the hour I first believed", someone had marked out the word 'believed' and scribbled in the word 'obeyed' in all of the books. It struck me as both sad and ironic that they would take the words of the world's best-known hymn about grace, and turn it into a song about the importance of human effort.
"If I had to define my own theme, it would be that of a person who absorbed some of the worst the church has to offer, yet still landed in the loving arms of God." (From the book 'Soul Survivor' by Philip Yancy)