An Observation

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
Struggler

An Observation

Post by Struggler »

I work with a few C of C'ers, and recently, I had to travel for work with one of our affiliate groups, which is faith-based, but not C of C.
The conversations were markedly different. My C of C co-workers talk about church and "th' church" and Church of Christ--a lot. It's all about church, and if Jesus is mentioned, it seems to be an afterthought. There's the snarking about C of C people who don't go to an "in" congregation, etc.
The people I was with on my trip mentioned God and faith, but how those have impacted them. No mention of who goes to church where, or what this or that church is doing. They were also LIVING their faith in the way they conducted themselves.
I'd rather be all about Christ than all about church.
williamray123

Re: An Observation

Post by williamray123 »

Struggler wrote:I work with a few C of C'ers, and recently, I had to travel for work with one of our affiliate groups, which is faith-based, but not C of C.
The conversations were markedly different. My C of C co-workers talk about church and "th' church" and Church of Christ--a lot. It's all about church, and if Jesus is mentioned, it seems to be an afterthought. There's the snarking about C of C people who don't go to an "in" congregation, etc.
The people I was with on my trip mentioned God and faith, but how those have impacted them. No mention of who goes to church where, or what this or that church is doing. They were also LIVING their faith in the way they conducted themselves.
I'd rather be all about Christ than all about church.
I started attending a baptist church and I was surprised how much information the preacher could convey about the bible when half of the sermon wasn't about how Joe Baptist/Methodist/Catholic was doing their own church wrong.
MusicMan826

Post by MusicMan826 »

Sounds very familiar. It's all about "the church". A similar thing I never really noticed until I left and saw someone one point it out on here is that in the COC you rarely hear people say, "Jesus says..." but always "The bible says..." They don't tend to talk about Jesus too much (especially not in December...don't want God to think we're celebrating Christmas!) but it's always the church and the bible. More than once I've heard people say that the COC doesn't worship God and Jesus, they worship the church and the bible.
agricola

Post by agricola »

MusicMan826 wrote:Sounds very familiar. It's all about "the church". A similar thing I never really noticed until I left and saw someone one point it out on here is that in the COC you rarely hear people say, "Jesus says..." but always "The bible says..." They don't tend to talk about Jesus too much (especially not in December...don't want God to think we're celebrating Christmas!) but it's always the church and the bible. More than once I've heard people say that the COC doesn't worship God and Jesus, they worship the church and the bible.
Yes. 'The Bible' trumps anything 'Jesus' - unless Jesus happened to say something the coc is actually in favor of.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
Cootie Brown

Post by Cootie Brown »

C of c members would deny this but the reality is the c of c worships the bible first, then Paul, Jesus & then God. The Bible is their de facto God & that is why their interpret it & follow it as literally as possible.
KLP

Post by KLP »

I have not seen anyone bow down to a Bible, pray to a Bible, give money to a Bible, or praise dance around a Bible. The Words of the Bible are all considered God breathed and inspired. When any speaks be it Paul or Luke they are speaking as the oracles of God. Jesus is the Word just as He was in the beginning. The entire Creation was spoken into existence with Word. So yes, the Word is worshipped since the Word is God. So where is the shocker that "People of the Book" esteem the Word of God so highly?
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
onward

Post by onward »

Cootie Brown wrote:C of c members would deny this but the reality is the c of c worships the bible first, then Paul, Jesus & then God. The Bible is their de facto God & that is why their interpret it & follow it as literally as possible.
While not denying this has never happened, I believe your allegation that " ... the c of c worships the bible first, then Paul, Jesus & then God." is completely out of whack with my experience in these churches. Many of these churches are guilty of some crazy thinking and nutsy decision making, but definitely not guilty of this specific charge.
Freedom in Christ always trumps slavery to legalism
GMan

Post by GMan »

Cootie Brown wrote:C of c members would deny this but the reality is the c of c worships the bible first, then Paul, Jesus & then God. The Bible is their de facto God & that is why their interpret it & follow it as literally as possible.

I have actually witnessed one kid the Bible after reading it.
A life lived in fear,
is a life half lived.

Glen McGuire
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

On the old Internet Infidels Discussion Board there was a poster named Bible Humper. I wonder how he avoided all those papers cuts.... :lol:
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
KLP

Post by KLP »

I think some Jews kiss a scroll now and then or have outward show of reverence. Muslims freak out if you flush a Koran (man do I wish my water saving toilet had the ability to flush a book). But maybe the closest you come to with CofC with a Bible is IMO like patriots treating their national flag. You have a worn out ancient KJV pew Bible that is has lost the cheap cover. Still, throwing it in the trash can is so awkward. So in that sense there is some sort of weirdness around the book itself. But still I think it is what it stands for, not the book itself, again, like treating the flag with respect. But yes, some people love to deride and publicly insult and deface the flag so that it upsets other people. Some people just like to do those kinds of things and then justify it as being on a cause for truth or something...but generally they are just rude IMO.
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.