The Lord's Prayer

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
Grace

The Lord's Prayer

Post by Grace »

As we were saying the Lord's Prayer in Church tonight, I remembered that my mother and our Church of Christ would not say the Lord's prayer.

There was some issue about "your kingdom come" as I recall.

Did your CoC every recite the Lord's prayer?

If they didn't, what was their reasoning to not say it?
ena

Re: The Lord's Prayer

Post by ena »

Grace wrote:As we were saying the Lord's Prayer in Church tonight, I remembered that my mother and our Church of Christ would not say the Lord's prayer.

Jesus establishes a physical kingdom when he returns. This is part of Bible prophesy which the church cops out on.
See Isaiah 9.
GuitarHero

Post by GuitarHero »

Grace wrote:As we were saying the Lord's Prayer in Church tonight, I remembered that my mother and our Church of Christ would not say the Lord's prayer.

Because the kingdom has already come. Didn't you know? The kingdom is The Church! So we couldn't pray for it to come, since it was already there.

Sigh... sometimes I hate that I still know all this bullshit.
Lev

Post by Lev »

We were taught to just replace the phrase, "thy kingdom come" with, "thy kingdom spread," in order to acknowledge that the kingdom had come and that what we now want is for the COC (i.e. the kingdom) to spread. You know, changing the actual language of scripture--no big deal.

Lev
Struggler

Post by Struggler »

We were encouraged to say "Thy Kingdom HAS come," although I never did that when we said it in school. (Yes, we said the Lord's Prayer and recited the Pledge of Allegiance in school and it didn't hurt anyone.) Of course, "Thy Kingdom come," could also mean, "They Kingdom IS come."

A minister I know taught on the Lord's Prayer and said there's nothing wrong with saying or praying it as written. Non-issue to me.
AtPeace

Post by AtPeace »

Wasn't an issue when I was growing up in the CoC.

I went to a public school, and we recited it daily.
Raised CoC.
Switched to Christian Church/Disciples of Christ.
Love their liberal theology, but not the social liberalism.
Rare-attender, just because life gets in the way.
williamray123

Post by williamray123 »

GuitarHero wrote:

Because the kingdom has already come. Didn't you know? The kingdom is The Church! So we couldn't pray for it to come, since it was already there.

classic CoC... Jesus offers a model prayer and the CoC knows better and corrects him.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

williamray123 wrote:
GuitarHero wrote:

classic CoC... Jesus offers a model prayer and the CoC knows better and corrects him.
Jesus shouldn't have been running all over the Holy Land teaching "error" then. :lol:
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
FinallyFree

Post by FinallyFree »

In my Disciples of Christ church, we say it every Sunday. I love it! I have heard that you can think of it like . . .Thy kingdom has come, so they will be done on earth. It works either way.
Lev

Post by Lev »

B.H. wrote:Jesus shouldn't have been running all over the Holy Land teaching "error" then. :lol:
One example of the many disagreements between Jesus and the COC.

Lev