Lads to Leaders

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
KLP

Lads to Leaders

Post by KLP »

Well, this years L2L is over I guess. And yes, I know Leaderettes (which my spelling corrector wants to change to Leatherettes) So I guess next up in the institutional CofC world is Polishing the Pulpit. Anybody here ever go to these L2L events and compete for the Lord?

VBS was about as "worldly" as we ever got, and that was only at the "cool" congregations, never the one we attended. (boohoo, poor me)
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
Lev

Re: Lads to Leaders

Post by Lev »

So leatherette is a word but leaderette is not? And what's up with the genderization of "leader"? I know plenty of women leaders. I don't call them "leaderettes" just "leaders." If the COC says women can't be leaders, do they really have any business calling them "leaderettes"? I mean, it's diminutive and patronizing but it does contain the word "leader."

I suppose if Hillary Clinton gets elected next year she'll be the Leaderette of the Free World.

Lev
GuitarHero

Post by GuitarHero »

I always wondered which Lads would get to become Leaderettes.

After all, they neglected to insert the term "Lass" to differentiate.
bnot

Post by bnot »

Wow, I've never heard of lads to leaders and didn't hear of polishing the pulpit until it was mentioned on the old board. What goes on during these events? I've read what they're about on their websites, but I want to know what really goes on.
KLP

Post by KLP »

I don't know, I only found out about this world after I left non-institutional CofC branch and visited the "liberal" brethren.
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
GuitarHero

Post by GuitarHero »

As long as the lads or leaderettes aren't helping the preacher polish his pulpit...
bnot

Post by bnot »

klp wrote:I don't know, I only found out about this world after I left non-institutional CofC branch and visited the "liberal" brethren.
:lol:
GMan

Post by GMan »

I never heard of either one until I came on to this board (or should I say an older edition of this board). Just how long have either of them existed?
A life lived in fear,
is a life half lived.

Glen McGuire
Hildegard

Post by Hildegard »

A long time. L2L has been around since the 1970s at least. Never heard of Polishing the Pulpit until we started making jokes about the title on the old board.

There is another kid-conference called LTC (Leadership Training for Christ) in the Midwest & West, but compared to L2L & Pulpit it's fairly liberal.
FinallyFree

Post by FinallyFree »

My kids participated in this and I always hated it. Now, none of them even goes to any church, so it was a total waste of time. They participated in puppet shows. My daughter did song leading, but, of course, the girls could not lead singing with any men in the room, so my husband never got to see her do this. They had other categories like Bible reading and public speaking. It was always held over Easter weekend, so Easter was ruined.