How does "being in the world, but not of the world" work?

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
agricola

Re: How does "being in the world, but not of the world" work

Post by agricola »

It's like they never heard of the Golden Mean, and think that ANY pleasure leads inevitably to extreme overindulgence - think of the coc 'doctrine of 'one drink drunk'.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
Struggler

Post by Struggler »

One must not ever do or even consider doing anything that someone, somewhere might remotely construe as contrary to God's Will.
OneStrike_ur_out

Post by OneStrike_ur_out »

GuitarHero wrote:I actually think it's one of the more harmful doctrines of Christianity. It encourages people to have total disregard for the life and world they currently inhabit, and focuses them on the pie-in-the-sky world that they believe is to come. Many COCers (and other fundies) that I know have totally missed out on THIS life because of their focus on the next. Personally, I can allow that there may be life after this one, even though I don't believe in God... but I cannot imagine why (if, for the sake of argument, he exists) God would want us to totally disregard this life that he gave us, and not take full advantage of it.
This times 1000. I just could not deprive myself of everything. What if the 70-80 or so years we get on this planet is ALL we will ever have? What if after this life, we are just gone, like we never existed to begin with? I would HATE to be at the end of my time, thinking back to all the opportunities I let pass me right on by because of some twisted cOC logic.
"HE HAS GOTTEN PULLED AWAY!!"-The cOC's go-to answer whenever someone leaves.
AtPeace

Post by AtPeace »

I might be the only one here who sees it this way, but I actually find some benefit to that particular scripture. It helps remind me to be intentional about what I involve myself in. Helps me be more mindful of what I personally value, and to avoid things in the world that run counter to those things. Especially with so much available media around us today, I think it's particularly useful advice. Picking and choosing what one gets involved in, or pays attention to, keeps us from becoming overwhelmed or sidetracked from living our lives.
Raised CoC.
Switched to Christian Church/Disciples of Christ.
Love their liberal theology, but not the social liberalism.
Rare-attender, just because life gets in the way.
KLP

Post by KLP »

AtPeace wrote:I might be the only one here who sees it this way, but I actually find some benefit to that particular scripture. It helps remind me to be intentional about what I involve myself in. Helps me be more mindful of what I personally value, and to avoid things in the world that run counter to those things. Especially with so much available media around us today, I think it's particularly useful advice. Picking and choosing what one gets involved in, or pays attention to, keeps us from becoming overwhelmed or sidetracked from living our lives.
No I agree somewhat. I see a tension in current culture between two concepts that might be termed "keeping it real" and "improving one's self". The improve yourself gets a lot of push back because of negative connotations of forgetting your roots, putting on airs, thinking you are better, etc. But we see this in natural infant/child development when there is growth from being focus on self and immediate needs and being able to focus on others and putting off gratification...there is room for improvement and striving to mature and grow towards an ideal. The idea that "life is short" is a concept also in the Bible but the advice is to get right with God. Another response is to eat drink and be merry for tomorrow we die. Accepting that there is a higher goal (spiritual, material, eternal, or temporal) provides the motive and reason to strive for something else which means making choices...which is your point, what is the motive and reason for even making a choice...much less deciding which choice is better to attain some goal. If there is no hope or aspiration then there is no reason to make such discriminations and choices.

So just because I was born and raised in small towns didn't mean I had to make choices that would keep me forever in that small town or to think that way. And just because I moved to the big cities and traveled did not mean I had to swallow all of the stuff that comes with that. I can be in either of those places and still make choices about what to do or what to think.
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
ena

Post by ena »

agricola wrote:It's like they never heard of the Golden Mean, and think that ANY pleasure leads inevitably to extreme overindulgence - think of the coc 'doctrine of 'one drink drunk'.
This is a goody. Common in the CoC. I have had drinks many times. The companies would supply a couple of drink tickets or leave bottles of wine on the table. During wilder parties some would get drunk and make asses of themselves. They would be copiously apologizing the next Monday. I found it rather funny as I was never that wasted just observing the whole thing. I don't currently drink because I am diabetic today. I don't like beer or wine. I have tried many. I do like some mixed drinks. Mostly orange mixes. What do you get when you mix milk of magnesia and orange juice? .....................A Phillips Screwdriver! :lol: