How CofC impacted me, KLP

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
onward

Re: How CofC impacted me, KLP

Post by onward »

klp wrote: So, maybe it is CofC but it is not only CofC that has left me at a state where I am a strong believer in God and Word and that it is knowable. But I am also in a state where I will probably never feel OK with ever joining any group, placing membership, or putting myself under someone with a title of Elder or Pastor. And as I get older I am even less willing to do this when these folks are often younger than me.
Really appreciate your well written insightful post, it helps all of us understand the difficulty staying and leaving the CoC. In spite of all the insidious, ridiculous and plain stupid shenanigans found in the hardline CoC tribes, it's amazing we can still believe in God and His Word, even if we are somewhat shell shocked at times.
Freedom in Christ always trumps slavery to legalism
faithfyl

Post by faithfyl »

klp wrote:I was born and raised in NI branch of the CofC. And spent a lot of time around preachers, mainly small towns, and consumed a lot of reading material (debates, articles, etc).
Basically CofC for me has led to loneliness and isolation...but it was that way due to doctrine even while in CofC as we had to be isolated from the world. But now I do not even have the CofC, so the isolation increases. Often life seems pretty pointless and depressing in the big picture. Therefore I have tried to build relationships in places other than religion...neighborhood, work, etc. These all seem pretty shallow so far. So I got a dog.

:) NOTE: updates at emoitcons...I updated to soften the tone that sounded like I was faulting the choices of others here.
Loneliness and isolation, hits the nail on the head. I think that is an accurate description of how many people felt being raised in this religion. Those are the exact same two words that I would use to describe the upbringing in C of C.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

klp wrote:Well, like the thread title states, I am venting and sharing how the CofC impacted me. And I welcome your support and agreement per the stated guidelines.

(((((KLP))))))

I give KLP big hugs.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx