Original Version of Bible?

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
longdistancerunner

Original Version of Bible?

Post by longdistancerunner »

In CoC Bible Study, in casual conversation or in a sermon; did you ever hear the question addressed, Where is the original version of the Bible or what the original version is?
B.H.

Re: Original Version of Bible?

Post by B.H. »

No. No one ever told us how the Church uf Krist decided what the canon was supposed to be either.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
agricola

Post by agricola »

As I recall, the original Bible was the King James Authorized Version, which was delivered whole and intact to the early Christian church in Jerusalem in 33 AD or earlier (never specified) in its final form, except in Greek. Or something. But God protected the text compulsively until He hovered over the English translators, so hey. Also Jesus spoke English.

I wish I were joking.
this was a clueless person in the pew's version. I am PRETTY sure most CoC preachers learned better in college. They just never taught about it.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
longdistancerunner

agricola wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 11:24 am As I recall, the original Bible was the King James Authorized Version, which was delivered whole and intact to the early Christian church in Jerusalem in 33 AD or earlier (never specified) in its final form, except in Greek. Or something. But God protected the text compulsively until He hovered over the English translators, so hey. Also Jesus spoke English.

I wish I were joking.
this was a clueless person in the pew's version. I am PRETTY sure most CoC preachers learned better in college. They just never taught about it.
I remember many preachers and others discussing how the translation wasn't correct when you read the original Greek, most common one is use of the word "wine". It was grape juice in reality.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

From what I remember, cofc people would worry about the issue of Catholic monks doing the translating.
We were assured that God would have guided the monks in the translations so they wouldn't get it wrong.
There was therefore nothing to worry about.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
Shane R

Post by Shane R »

My grandfather, a 40 year CoC preacher, was the most KJV only person I've ever met, excepting the barber on the road to Grundy, Virginia. And he had a sixth grade education. He was talking out of his ass anytime he spoke on the subject. But he spent decades encouraging people to not understand the Bible by reading the KJV.

I got an NASB and he derided it as "not a real Bible." The ESV got popular in the last years of his ministry. If someone read a verse of that you could almost see smoke coming out of his ears.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

Shane don't you go disraspecktin your papaw now. He was a member of the one troo church so that gives him magically extra years of edumacation and wisdom.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
Shane R

Post by Shane R »

That smoke coming out his ears was from the Winston cigarettes he didn't let the congregation know he was smoking.
longdistancerunner

Shane R wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2024 12:01 am That smoke coming out his ears was from the Winston cigarettes he didn't let the congregation know he was smoking.
That brings up an interesting subject. I never saw CoC preachers smoke and generally most elders didn't smoke at church although some did smoke you could smell it, they didn't seem to try to hide it very much, in non church situations they would smoke in front of other church members. The vast majority of men at that time smoked and it was just accepted, few people spoke negatively about it although it was generally believed it was inappropriate and bad for children and also unwomanly.
zeek

Post by zeek »

longdistancerunner wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2024 10:29 am
Shane R wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2024 12:01 am That smoke coming out his ears was from the Winston cigarettes he didn't let the congregation know he was smoking.
That brings up an interesting subject. I never saw CoC preachers smoke and generally most elders didn't smoke at church although some did smoke you could smell it, they didn't seem to try to hide it very much, in non church situations they would smoke in front of other church members. The vast majority of men at that time smoked and it was just accepted, few people spoke negatively about it although it was generally believed it was inappropriate and bad for children and also unwomanly.
I well remember the mass exodus out the front door of the church house during the intermission between Sunday School and worship where most of the men and a few of the bolder women would dash out to quickly burn one to hold them over through the preaching service. I can vividly remember the ground around the front door would be white with littered cigarette butts. Looking back, it is appalling but at the time it was just a normal part of life. I saw something on social media the other day that turned my stomach. It was Granny and Uncle Jed from the Beverly Hillbillies hawking Winston cigarettes. I am barely old enough to remember when cigarette ads were still on TV, but I never saw that one as far as I remember.
"All things are difficult before they are easy."(found in a fortune cookie)
"We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the oppressed. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Forgetting isn't healing." Elie Wiesel