My sort-of moral dilemma

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
singing with drums

My sort-of moral dilemma

Post by singing with drums »

Well folks, I have never been a fan of book-burning, or what I consider to be a slightly more responsible route of dropping offensive books into the recycling bin.
However, in a fit of bookshelf straightening, (the story as to why is too long for the moment),
I came across several CoC books that I had forgotten that I still had. You know the type, the We Are The One True Church kind of stuff.
Recycling day will be tomorrow.
This particular Methodist will be adding to the recycling bin some vintage CoC texts by folks like Rebel Shelley. I don't want anyone else to read that poison.
Okie dokie, not such a dilemma after all...
God is good.
B.H.

Re: My sort-of moral dilemma

Post by B.H. »

I have a better idea. Do you have a dog or other pets? Save the books and anytime they poop in the yard or in the house tear out a page of one of those books and pick up the poop with it.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
singing with drums

Post by singing with drums »

Nice option as a poop scoop.
Sadly, I have no pets at the moment.
God is good.
agricola

Post by agricola »

I'm in favor of archiving such things for posterity to study. Maybe your Methodist library has a section for such items? Restricted, naturally.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

Send it to the Vatican. The Catholic Church calls itself the Church of Christ. Send them as a prank with a note saying you read these books and Catholics are bat crap crazy to believe that .
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

You made me think about this, singing. I disagree with burning / censoring books, but do I feel that way about these? Interesting question.
I think we still have a lot of those old books and publications. I'm especially fond of those by Leroy Garrett, may he RIP. Such an intelligent, scholarly gentleman. Might be good for someone's comparative religion study.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

I have a sixty year old book that is a debate over whether to have Sunday school or not. Sometimes when I can't sleep I get it out and read it and all of a sudden I fall asleep.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

B.H. wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 1:24 pm I have a sixty year old book that is a debate over whether to have Sunday school or not. Sometimes when I can't sleep I get it out and read it and all of a sudden I fall asleep.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~