The Great Heathen Army

Fun or serious topics, including politics, current events and questions about the site. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only. That means doing our best to recognize and support the needs and feelings of others. To engage in respectful discussion with others who have a differing viewpoint, use "Coffee House".
B.H.

The Great Heathen Army

Post by B.H. »

Did you know that there was an army called the Great Heathen Army? It invaded what is now England back in the time of Alfred the Great. They estimate its size from 1,000 to 3500 but that was a huge army for its day. It consisted of Norwegians, Danes, and Swedes and were what we call Vikings today. For many years it ran roughshod over the various kingdoms that consolidated and later became England until King Alfred defeated them and made them all get baptized. :lol:

just thought it was cool that there was such a thing as "The Great Heathen Army".
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
Ivy

Re: The Great Heathen Army

Post by Ivy »

Or as our ancestors would likely say...."heatherns". :lol: :lol: :lol:
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

Ivy wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2024 6:14 pm Or as our ancestors would likely say...."heatherns". :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ivy could have defeated them with one rise of her voice "Great Heathen Army!". They would have turned tail and fled, in fact they would have been so scared of ivy they would have ditched their boats as to slow and took a chance and swam back to Norway. :lol:
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

B.H. wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 12:34 pm
Ivy wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2024 6:14 pm Or as our ancestors would likely say...."heatherns". :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ivy could have defeated them with one rise of her voice "Great Heathen Army!". They would have turned tail and fled, in fact they would have been so scared of ivy they would have ditched their boats as to slow and took a chance and swam back to Norway. :lol:
BH, I have to say that I would not rebuke them and run them off, as long as they behaved. In fact, I like some of their ideas and rituals. I would just draw the line at the grotesque sword fights and beheadings. And assaults, pillagings, of course. I love to watch Viking themed shows, although some are better than others.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

You would definitely put a stop to the blood eagle then? Don't google this if you have a weak stomach.